Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Benefits of Doubting

Just the wind upon one weed can fill a field
Earlier in the week I posted something on Facebook that drew much interest ... and even more questions. 

I wrote, "When someone gets an idea about someone else it becomes a virus.  Even when the idea is wrong they can't be swayed...infected by the idea."

Many things came to mind when I posted this, but it mostly has to do with how people perceive others. 
For example ...  
A man in his workplace finds the new guy to be annoying. 
He tells a fellow co-worker about how annoying the new guy is. 
His fellow co-worker does not find the new guy annoying yet the seed has been planted. 
As word spreads, this new guy who was only annoying to one person is now seen as annoying by most of the employees. 
Initially, he may not even have been annoying, it was just how the first person perceived and felt about him. 
Nevertheless the damage has been done, the new guy is now annoying even if he is not.

If we give our fellow man the 'Benefit of the Doubt', God will give us the 'Benefit of the Doubt'!

This thought initially came from a quote I read, 
"One who judges his fellow man favorable will be judged favorably by Heaven."  
~ The Chofetz Chaim 
A field which grew from one weed which shared its seeds


I am walking through the airport and I see a fellow believer of alcohol abstinence standing at the bar. 
My first compulsion is to think that this fellow believer is drinking, yet I have to give him the 'Benefit of Doubt.'

As it turns out, he is ordering a meal to take on his flight which had to be ordered through the bartender. 
If I do not give him the benefit of the doubt then continue on to tell someone else about my doubts, the seed will be planted. 
Should I decide to share my perception with others the seed grows.


In this weeks Torah portion Emor (say or speak) we find, 
"You shall not desecrate My holy name, rather I should be sanctified among the children of Israel." 
Leviticus 22:32

Our behavior sanctifies God's name. 

When we speak badly about our fellow man and we cast a poor shadow upon God's name.


So you see....there is some benefit to doubting.

No comments:

Post a Comment