Monday, February 13, 2012

Choosing Slavery

Choosing slavery:
Should the bondmen say, "I love my master, and my wife and my children (21:5) and I have no desire for freedom," his master must pierce his ear with a awl by a doorpost, and he remains a bondman until yovel (Jubilee).
Why does he pierce his ear?
His ear heard God say on Mt. Sinai that Israel is His servant, and must not serve another, and yet this man chose to remain a bondman.
Why is the piercing done next to a door?
The door bore witness in Egypt. God watched over the doors of the Jews on the night that He struck the Egyptian first-born, and it was on that night that God proclaimed us His servants.
Why is he called, "a Hebrew bondman" rather than " an Israelite bondman"?
Because Israel is a superior name, which the Jews were called after God released them from their Egyptian bondage to serve Him and receive the Torah. But when they were enslaved in Egypt they were called Hebrews, as it says, "God of the Hebrews" (3:18)
Someone who has sold himself into slavery is likened to the Jews of Egypt, and so is termed Hebrew.
Why do they spill a drop of blood from his ear?
He has rejected the memory of the blood which was put on the door posts when God freed our forefathers from slavery.
The Midrash says: Says God, " I have opened a door for him to be free after six years of bondage, and he does not want to walk through it."
For this reason the piercing is done by the doorway.
Let us not forget the memory of the blood of Jesus. To do so would put us back into bondage. The Hebrew letter "Chet" means "Life" and shaped like a doorway. Make no mistake God did that for a reason. John 7-10 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.
All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them.
I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment